It`s only a matter of time before you encounter a computer viruses , there are top10 steps to protect you from computer viruses :
1) Use a high quality anti-virus program :There are many different
anti-virus computers programs , some of them are better than others , you can find the one that is suitable for your needs by searching on different websites .
2) Always use your anti-virus program : Make sure your anti-virus
program is always turned on and scanning all email messages (incoming &outgoing ) and any software program you run .
3) Keep your anti-virus programs up to date : Most programs
come with a yearly subscription , make sure you take the advantages of the updates , most advanced programs allow you to schedule updates .
4) Keep your computer up to date : From time to time operating system badly affected by the security holes or updates , make sure that you check periodically in order to make sure you are running up to date versions of your software .
5) Backup your data regularly : Most computer users keep
their documents in the “my documents“ folder , this make it easy to back up all of your important documents , you can also copy them to CD or USB drives weekly or monthly .
6) If you use USB drives on public computers like your university
computer lab : Make sure you scan them for viruses , public computers are not being up to date and properly protected .
7) Be careful of email attachments : Treat any email attachment as
may be dangerous , never open attachments from people you weren’t expecting , also be careful of attachments from people you know but weren’t expecting .
8) Use text email if possible : While HTML email is better and
allows you more control over formatting , it also can carry computer viruses , if you use text email the only way to get a virus is by opening an attachment .
9) Use downloading freeware and shareware files or software carefully :
Try to download them from popular trusted sources that scan the programs before they are uploaded , to make sure that you are safe , scan the
program before you install it on your computer .
10) Be careful of links in instant messaging software you don`t
know and never click a link from someone you don’t trust , they can easily redirect you to another website that will try to install a virus on your computer system .